Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cape Cod Canal Update

I've been so busy recently that I haven't had time to post much. I came back from my four-day weekend to a week filled mostly by urban First Responder training. The following Friday three of my coworkers -- Aimee, Zach and Gabe -- and I were sent to Southbridge for district-wide training. The training was good; we learned a lot of Corps history, and the trainers did some cool stuff with Interpretation. The training also gave the four of us a chance to get to know each other outside of work. The hotel had a really nice pool that we were able to swim in, and there were pool tables in the lounge. Zach and I, who are both beginner pool players (I'm really bad at it), found ourselves playing on a "tag team" against Aimee, who is quite good. We won a couple of times, but that was only because Aimee put the eight ball in by mistake! Then on Sunday three more coworkers -- Andy, Kevin and Bob -- showed up for part of the training. Sunday included pepper spray training, and anyone who wanted to had the opportunity -- if you can call it that -- to get sprayed with pepper spray. Gabe was the only one from our group who elected to get sprayed, and he said that a person would have to be a "really big" jerk "to deserve that."

After training we had two days off. We came back yesterday to finish our urban First Responder training. Today Ann, one of the permanent employees, took me on a hike on Sagamore Hill to show me the ropes for the tour that I will be giving once the official summer season starts. I spent my afternoon working on the text for the evening program that I will be giving in cooperation with a community partner in August.

The next three days I will be in the Visitor Center, so I plan to take my computer to work so I can work on my Interpretive programs when visitation is slow. So that's what I've been up to. Every day brings new adventures!

No comments: