Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Great Day at ZooQuarium

Today, like my other days at the zoo, I continued working with our red-tailed hawk Jasper. I have been getting closer and closer to accomplishing a huge goal with him, and today I finally did! Jasper sat on my arm and ate an entire mouse while perched on my arm. It is amazing that a wild animal who was afraid of everyone and everything when I first met him, is now accepting food from me. I have successfully been able to "man" him. On Thursday, we will be putting jesses (the leather straps that go around the legs of birds to handle them and is a common term used in falconry) on Jasper so that I can start taking him out to the pubic to use for presentations. I am very excited.

Also this week we got some of our summer animals that we take care of. They come from the Needham Science Center. One of those animals is a great horned owl named Micetro. I get to start working with and handling him as well.
Today we got a really big skate from the Buttonwood Park Zoo and she is absolutely gorgeous. I'll try to get some good pictures of her soon.

One thing that really surprised me today was how many people had never seen a skunk before. After my skunk presentation today, many people approached me at the end and told me they had never seen one and that they learned a lot. It always makes me feel good when people get something out of my shows and what I have to tell them.

Well that's about all I can think of right now. I'm just so happy about how far I have come with Jasper. I will post pictures of me with him as soon as I can.
-Bethany

No comments: