Sunday, June 28, 2009




Hello again reporting live from Camp Farley in Mashpee!! This past week has been a pleasant experience. Although it rained most of the week, the staff was able to put on smiles and be more appreciative of the warm days we did have. We have spent a lot of time talking about how to run a good cabin and how to be a good counselor. I listened intently because I want my kids to have a great time while they are here. I have opened my mind up to any suggestions and I am willing to try something new. The staff continues to surprise me with their friendliness and kind personalities. Earlier this week we played a game called 'reach out and touch somebody'. The game involved everyone, but the assitant director to sit in a circle facing the outside. He then would pick random people and ask them to stand in the middle of the circle while the rest of the group kept their eyes closed. Then he would tell us to reach out and touch anyone whom we respected and so forth. The objective of the game is to show each participant what people think of them and instill confidence and a warm fuzzy feeling inside; well, it worked. After that activity everyone was as joyous as a kid on christmas!
Lats week I got the chance to review a few games with the staff that I will be playing with my adventure group. The games went well and I was proud of myself for doing a good job. I did notice a few things I need to work on though; one was not being a fraid to be the facilitator. It is important for the games to have some type of structure, but I also need to remember when to give my campers the opportunity to explore. At various times during the games I often got flustered and let my voice escape from me. I need to maintain calm in all scenarios because if I freak out, so will my participants. Also this week I retrieved the ropes euipment from the cellar and took inventory of it all. I looked through the ropes manual and discovered plenty of trust games to play with the kids! I am excited to start, but also nervous. I also got a chance to operate the 2 high ropes elements in camp; the zip line and climbing wall. Although I receieved training I was so nervous and found myself slipping up, but in the end I regained my composure and faciliated the elements. With each passing day I am more aware of my own capabilities and these revelations have caused me to further stimulate my mind. I am approaching more challenges with confidence and spunk that will aid me in the succession of each task. Until Next week!

No comments: