Monday, June 22, 2009

So-wa-di-ka! (Hello!) again from Thailand.

I've just completed my second week of my internship, with three more to go. I have pretty much gotten used to the schedule during the days. Waking up at 6am and getting done with my day at 5:30. This week was a very interesting one indeed.
During the beginning of my week we had a macaque escape from his enclosure. Because the center is surrounded by forest, we spent an hour and a half searching through the woods to look for him, and then for another hour the next day. Unfortunately, we have not yet found him and it isn't looking too well for finding him. From this I've learned how important keeping up with the enclosures is an important aspect of keeping up with the center.
I also started working in the quarentine area with 14 of the newest gibbons and macaques. I like working in quarentine because you can kind of make up your own schedule fror the day and the animals there are the ones that need attention the most because most of them were previous pets who still look for human interaction and will probably never be released into the wild.
That is all I have for you this week, but look forward to another update soon!

Amanda Smith

No comments: