Monday, June 13, 2011

Warming up on the river

With temperatures in the 90’s, it’s definitely beginning to feel like summer around here. For the past 2 weeks we’ve been working at the kiosks, doing canoe patrols, and just getting to know the park. I think I like doing canoe roving the best because we get to be on the river all day. Everyday there are usually 2 or 3 groups of 2 people who are on the river in solo canoes. We basically just canoe down the river, talking to people along the way and making sure they have life jackets, fishing licenses, etc. I like river roving because it’s a good way to practice my canoe skills, and it’s also nice to talk to people on the river rather than at a kiosk all day.



This past Wednesday our whole interpretive unit went to a workshop at Promised Land State Park, which was about an hour away. We learned about different wildlife programs for kids and how to create lesson plans that would keep their interest while teaching them. We also had a speaker, Lindsay Barrett George, who creates children’s books that mostly revolve around nature and wildlife. At the end we all had the chance to choose one of her books and have it signed, which was cool.

We also received tons of material on wildlife programs which included lots of neat ideas. Being in the interpretive unit at the park, we need to create and present educational programs. I’m currently in the process of trying to design a program which focuses on nature at night (stars, night sounds, animals). Right now I only have a general idea of what I want to do, which would be a night hike around the area with some educational stuff thrown in.

Other than that, nothing too interesting has been happening…yet. Since we don’t have cable, internet, or cell phone service at the house my housemates and I have been playing lots of Wii and watching lots of Glee. I’m having a blast though and I’m excited for the rest of summer!
Until I snag some internet somewhere again,
Lara

No comments: