Tuesday, July 15, 2014

MCINWR with Rose Zoller

Hey Everyone!

Sorry it has been a while since I have posted, with all this moving around and change in staff things have been a bit hectic, but still very fun! I am back on my original island (Ship) and I was here just in time for the remains of Arther to hit us on the 5th. This storm resulted in us having a Black Skimmer on the island and they are only seen this far north after tropical storms!
Black Skimmer!!

While away on the other island, our chicks here all seemed to have hatched! I have gotten a lot of banding experience int the past week. My supervisor, Mary, also had a 3 day break off the island and I was able to train an SCA student who was working most of her summer at Maine's Moosehorn Refuge. The experience was a lot of fun and it was great for me to have the opportunity to take on a leadership role with collecting and recording data.
Three chicks we monitor for provisioning.

Currently we are performing provisioning and productivity surveys on our chicks. For productivity, we have set up plots and record the weight and wing cord for every chick in the plot. For provisioning we conduct 3 hour blind stints and we ID and record the types of fish being brought in. This data is crucial to the refuge, as we are finding trends in the available fish over the years to help determine healthy populations in the area.

Two Herring, our most common fish.
Measuring wing chord!
Till Next Time!

No comments: