Wednesday, July 28, 2010

slacking a bit

So I am a wee bit late with last weeks post, been really busy with my dad retirement and what not. Monday I came in and helped with Zoo camp even though I wasn't scheduled to come in. I gave the kids a presentation on our Ferret and helped them make their Wildlife Explorer backpacks. It was a bit complicated trying to explain to them the pack without having an extra to do along with them.

Wednesday was a short day, but it seemed so long because of the crazy heat. I did round one handling in the Visitors center, then took out the red wolves discovery cart and sat in the wolf den. Last task was to clean out the Fire Belly Toad tank, which was pretty nasty. I looked a lot happier when I was done, gave him a floating log to sit on.

Thursday Nadia and I were asked to do the Zoo2U in Delaware at a Methodist Church. We took along the Chinchilla, Corn Snake, Great Horned Owl, and the White's Tree Frog for our presentation. The drive took less time then we thought it would, but it was still a nice bonding time. Presentation went smoothly but they had way more people then they said they were. It was a bit unnerving.

Friday was my last day for the week, mostly consisting of a birthday party. But before hand I had to get some enrichment done for the Birds of Prey. I gave them a bunch of toys to play with and gave Turkey bird a phone book to tear up. At the party I gave my presentation on the Barred Owl, Ferret, and Corn Snake. The kids seemed to like it, but 5 year olds don't have very long attention spans. After the party I stayed a little later to help Andre with the Spectacled owl for his Ed talk.

This week I'm starting to learn more about how to talk to younger kids in order to keep their attention. There's still the whole not knowing the difference between asking a question and telling a story. But I'm getting where I can just deflect those kinds of questions. I only have 3 and a half weeks left until I come back up to Maine. I can't wait!!

-Heather

No comments: