Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nashville Zoo

So, I'm one month into my internship at the Nashville Zoo and I'm loving it!!! I'm working in the Education Animal Building (EAB) helping to care for the animals which are used in the shows and for promotions. In the morning is general cleaning and maintence time. After that is all done we start working on diets. After lunch, there are two shows which I help with along with training the animals. I'm also learning how to handle most of these animals.

I work with a number of different animals including: Two-Toed Sloth, some Macaws, some Parrots, Opossums, New Guinea Singing Dog, Serval, Caracal Lynx, some arthropods and amphibians, some snakes, and some birds of prey, some skunks (descented)... etc.

Today was a sad day though... Our Quaker Parakeet, Dinero, died this morning. I had gotten really attached to him and it was sad to see him randomly get sick. They'll be doing a physical necropsy soon... so I'll keep you updated on that.

Well, that seems like a pretty good first blog on here if you ask me. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll be sure to answer them to the best of my ability!!

-Shilo Cushman

1 comment:

Andy said...

sounds like a wicked experience, sorry about dinero. Have fun!