Thursday, August 4, 2011

PFD's Please!!

The past 2 weeks have been filled with river clean-ups, programs, and drownings. That's right...drownings. It's sad to say, but this past week we had 2 drownings because people decided to swim without lifejackets. I wish people would realize how fast things can happen, and how much control the river actually has. Law enforcement has been busy, that’s for sure.

As far as interpretation goes, I gave my last 2 river readings and they both went well. I also went on 2 river clean-ups, where a few of the interp staff go out with volunteers (generally high school kids) and canoe the river while picking up trash along the way. Let’s just say you can find some pretty interesting things on these trips. From slushy machines to propane tanks, people find it all. I found 5 different sandals, a baseball, sunglasses, beer, water bottles, a snorkel, goggles, and a big wooden boat seat…not to mention lots of normal trash like cans, plastic bags, and other litter. These trips are a good way to help clean up the river, and have fun too! Oh, and find treasure!




It’s hard to believe I only have 1 more week left here on the river, but it’s been a blast!

Until my last blog,
Lara

No comments: